Guidelines and Policies
Food Science and Technology (Campinas) publishes scientific articles in the field of food science. Works should be written in English and follow the editorial standards below.
Food Science and Technology (Campinas) accepts articles which present results from the original research and adopts a double-blind peer review process. The rejection of the manuscript can be decided by the Editor in Chief, Adjunct Associate Editor, and Associated Editors. The acceptance of the manuscript depends on the review of at least two anonymous referees designated by the Editorial Board. The referees' reviews will be sent to the authors to guide them in all needed changes related to their manuscripts. In the case of disagreement between their reviews, the final decision will be made by the Editor responsible for the manuscript or if he/she finds it necessary, another referee will be heard, and the three reviews will be analyzed by the sbCTA's Editorial Board, which will finally decide on the acceptance of the manuscript.
The accepted works will be published in the online version of this journal and in the SciELO library within twelve months.
Authorship credit should be based only on substantial contributions and participation to the development of the work.
The corresponding author will serve on behalf of all coauthors as the primary correspondent with the editorial office during the submission and review process.
Terms of agreement and submitting rights of graphic reproduction
The corresponding author must sign and submit the Terms of Agreement and Submitting Rights of Graphic Reproduction to the sbCTA's Editorial Board on behalf of all coauthors. By signing the "Terms of Agreement and Submitting Rights of Graphic Reproduction", the authors agree:
That neither this work nor one with substantially similar content has ever been previously published or is being considered for publication elsewhere;
To submit the work and agree to name the corresponding author indicated;
To grant the Brazilian Society of Science and Food Technology (sbCTA) the rights of graphic reproduction if the work is accepted for publication.
The manuscript must present clear and concise results of a research based on scientific methods.
Manuscripts should present an overview pertinent to the theme of the Journal with focus on literature published in the past five years.
Research involving humans
When presenting results of research involving humans, the approval process number granted by the Research Ethics Committee (resolution # 196/96, October 10th, 1996, Brazilian National Health Council) should be provided.
Reviewing the manuscript structure and information provided is the author responsibility. Original manuscripts should not exceed 16 pages (excluding the references).
The text should be spaced with double spacing between lines in a one-column format. All lines should be flush with left margin of column leaving a 2.5-cm margin at right and left. Text lines must be sequentially numbered throughout the text. All pages should be sequentially numbered (see the item "Files Format" at the end of this guide).
The manuscript cover letter must include the following:
Statement of work relevance and importance: a brief text with no more than 100 words describing the relevance of the work concisely;
- Title in English;
- Page header (no longer than 6 words).
The manuscript title page must include the following:
- Authors' full name and e-mail address;
- Authors' abbreviated names for citation (Ex.: full name: José Antonio da Silva; abbreviated name: Silva, J. A.);
- Authors´ Affiliations: name of the institution to which each author belongs (full name and acronyms, full postal address, postal code, city, state, and country). Please correlate each author to their corresponding institution;
- Authors mailing information (full name, full postal address, telephone and FAX numbers, and corresponding author's e-mail address).
Abstract and keywords page
The abstract must:
- Be only in english;
- Be a single paragraph containing fewer than 200 words;
- Clearly state the main objective and rationale of the article;
- State briefly the major conclusions;
- If applicable, describe materials methods and results;
- Summarize the conclusions;
- Be sparing with abbreviations and acronyms.
The abstract should not include:
- Significant data and statistical values;
Short text with a maximum of 85 characters, indicating innovations and important features of the study. The "Practical Application" will be published.
The manuscript should have at least three (3) and a maximum of six (6) Keywords. Keywords should be only in english. Avoid using terms included in the main text of the manuscript in the Keywords.
The manuscript should be arranged as follows:
- Materials and Methods; should include experimental design and statistical data analysis;
- Results and Discussion (may also be separated);
- Acknowledgements (optional).
In the main text:
- Abbreviations, acronyms, and symbols must be clearly defined on first usage;
- Footnotes are not permitted;
- The use of headings and subheadings is encouraged when necessary, but make use of them without compromising the text clarity. They should be numbered in the order in which they appear in the text;
- Equations should be computer generated and numbered sequentially with Arabic numerals in parentheses in the order in which they are referred to in the text. Equations should be referrenced within the text and in the location indicated by the author. Please do not submit images of equations . Equations supplied separately will not be accepted; only those inserted in the text will be accepted.
Tables, Figures, and Charts
Provide a maximum of seven (7) Tables, Figures, and Charts. They should be numbered in Arabic numerals in the order they are called out in the text. In the Manuscrito.pdf - version for reviewer's evaluation and in the Manuscrito.doc - version for production, tables, equations, figures, charts and their respective captions should be included within the main text in the place indicated by the authors. Please see below the instructions for the version for production.
Figures and charts (version for production)
Figures and charts should be provided in the main text and numbered consecutively using Arabic numerals and their respective captions should be included within the main text in the place indicated by the authors. When supplying figures containing photographs or micrographs, ensure that they are scanned at a high resolution so that each photo is at least 1,000 pixels wide. All photographs should contain the author's name. Charts should be used to present files, schemes, and flowcharts.
Tables (version for production)
Tables should be provided in the main text and numbered using Arabic numerals. They should be embedded in the text in the place indicated by the author. Tables should be prepared using Microsoft Word® 2007 or after; they should not be imported from Excel® or Powerpoint®, and should:
- Have a caption and a title;
- Be self-explainable;
- Have the significant digits defined according to statistical criterion considering the significant digits in the standard deviation;
- Be used sparingly to ensure visual consistency and that the text is easy to read;
- Show data that are not shown in the graphs;
- Have the simplest format possible; the use of shadows, color, or vertical and diagonal rows is not permitted;
- Have only superscript lowercase letters indicating footnotes (abbreviations, units, etc). The columns should be indicated first and then the rows, and this same order should be followed for the footnotes.
Raw materials, special purpose equipment and computer software used in the research should be specified (trademark- manufacturer, model, city, and country of origin).
Units of measure
- Use SI units; (International System of Units);
- Temperatures should be expressed in degrees Celsius (°C).
Bibliographic references inserted in the text should be made according to the "Author/Date" system. For example, citation containing one author: Sayers (1970) or (Sayers, 1970); with two authors: Moraes & Furuie (2010) or (Moraes & Furuie, 2010); citations with more than two authors should show the mane of the first author followed by the expression "et al.". When the citation refers to an institution, its name should be presented in full.
Food Science and Technology (CTA) Journal adopts the style of citations and bibliographic references by the American Psychological Association - APA. The complete policy and tutorials can be verified at http://www.apastyle.org.
The reference list should be prepared first alphabetically and, if necessary, chronologically. Multiple references by the same author in the same year should be identified by letters 'a', 'b', 'c', etc. placed after the year of publication.
Articles under preparation or submitted for review should not be included in the references. The names of all authors should be listed in the references; therefore, the use of the expression ‘et al.' is not allowed.
According to the determination by the sbCTA, accepted articles whose bibliographic references are not in compliance with the Journal's standards WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED until norms are met.
Examples of style for references:
Baccan, N., Aleixo, L. M., Stein, E., & Godinho, O. E. S. (1995). Introdução à semimicroanálise qualitativa (6. ed.). Campinas: EduCamp. Universidade Estadual de Campinas - UNICAMP. (2006). Tabela brasileira de composição de alimentos - TACO (versão 2, 2. ed.). Campinas: UNICAMP/NEPA.
Sgarbieri, V. C. (1987). Composição e valor nutritivo do feijão Phaseolus vulgaris L. In E. A. Bulisani (Ed.), Feijão: fatores de produção e qualidade (cap. 5; pp. 257-326). Campinas: Fundação Cargill.
Versantvoort, C. H., Oomen, A. G., Van de Kamp, E., Rompelberg, C. J., & Sips, A. J. (2005). Applicability of an in vitro digestion model in assessing the bioaccessibility of mycotoxins from food. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 43(1), 31-40. Sillick, T. J., & Schutte, N. S. (2006). Emotional intelligence and self-esteem mediate between perceived early parental love and adult happiness. E-Journal of Applied Psychology, 2(2), 38-48. Retrieved from http://ojs.lib.swin.edu.au/index.php/ejap
Electronic work (e-work)
Richardson, M. L. (2000). Approaches to differential diagnosis in musculoskeletal imaging (version 2.0). Seattle: University of Washington School of Medicine. Retrieved from http://www.rad.washington.edu/mskbook/index.html
Brasil, Ministério da Educação e Cultura. (2010). Institui a Política Nacional de Resíduos Sólidos; altera a Lei nº 9.605, de 12 de fevereiro de 1998; e dá outras providências (Lei nº 12.305, de 2 de agosto de 2010). Diário Oficial da República Federativa do Brasil.
Theses and Dissertations
Fazio, M. L. S. (2006). Qualidade microbiológica e ocorrência de leveduras em polpas congeladas de frutas (Dissertação de mestrado). Universidade Estadual Paulista, São José do Rio Preto.
Articles previously presented at scientific conferences
Sutopo, W., Nur Bahagia, S., Cakravastia, A., & Arisamadhi, T. M. A. (2008). A Buffer stock Model to Stabilizing Price of Commodity under Limited Time of Supply and Continuous Consumption. In Proceedings of The 9th Asia Pacific Industrial Engineering and Management Systems Conference (APIEMS), Bali, Indonesia.
The main manuscript text should be submitted as follows:
Manuscript.pdf: version for reviewer's evaluation
- pdf format;
- 12 point Times New Roman;
- Double spacing between lines;
- Manuscript complete text [maximum of sixteen pages (16)];
- Figures and tables including respective captions should be embbeded in the text in the location indicated by the author;
- Text lines and pages should be sequentially numbered;
- Should not include cover letter;
- Title page should not include the authors' names and Institutions;
- Should be named manuscritoavaliacao.pdf.
Manuscript.doc: version for production
- Microsoft Word® 2007 format (or after);
- 12 point Times New Roman;
- Double spacing between lines;
- Figures, charts, tables, equations and with their respective captions should be embbeded in main text in the place indicated by the authors;
- Text lines and pages should be sequentially numbered;
- Cover letter should be submitted separately;
- Title page should include the authors' names and institutions;
- Should be named manuscritoproducao.doc.
After checking the format style and creating the files according to the guidelines, proceed to the online submission using the On-line (Please, see below).
The Food Science and Technology Journal (Campinas) will publish an article accepted for publication according to rates below:
- USD 270.00 - non-members of SBCTA
- USD 200.00 - at least one author should be an SBCTA member and should have paid his/her annual membership fee to be eligible for the discount;
- USD 180.00 - at least two authors should be SBCTA members and should have paid their annual membership fee to be eligible for the discount;
- USD 160.00 - three authors should be SBCTA members and should have paid their annual membership fee to be eligible for the discount;
- USD 140.00 - at least four authors should be SBCTA members and should have paid their annual membership fee to be eligible for the discount;
- Contributing authors should convert commercial dollar rate of the date of deposit into Brazilian real.
The publication process will not begin until the fee for the accepted paper has been received. Fees may be paid as follows:
- Payment within Brazil: the invoice will be sent to the Editor by e-mail.
- International payment: PayPal invoice sent to the Editor by e-mail
English Language review
Papers must be submitted in English, together with a letter attesting their editing, signed by a specialist in English language (native or non-native speaker). All editing of English should be accompanied by a letter detailing the adjustments made in the original document.
Before submitting online, the corresponding author should fill out and sign the Terms of Agreement and Submitting Rights of Graphic Reproduction form.
Submit this form via e-mail or fax to the sbCTA's Editorial Board to firstname.lastname@example.org or +55 19 32410527. The evaluation process will not begin until the Terms of Agreement and Submitting Rights of Graphic Reproduction is sent and received.